Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle : December Episode 1
Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle
20 Foods for your Heart:
- Leafy vegetables
- Oat meal
- Low fat yoghurt
- Coffee 2 - 3 cups
- Blue berries
- Whole grains
- Glass of wine daily
- Olive oil
- Soya bean
Strength training:Is not only important for sportsmen or body builders, it is important for all of us. It will enable us to comfortably complete a days work, of carrying shopping bags, climbing a flight of stairs etc. It is especially important as we get older.
- These 5 free hand strength building exercises done 5-10 times daily are the answer.
- Pushups, to strengthen the arms, shoulder &chest
- Sit ups to strengthen the abdomen
- Upper body back raise to strengthen the back
- Full squat for the thighs
- Finally heel & calf raise to strengthen the calf muscles.
- In order to slow down the ageing process, keep the following is mind
- You get up feeling more relaxed
- You get more clarity in your thinking
- You feel more alert
- You become more creative.
- It helps to reduce HBP, Diabetes etc.
- However this is only add on to 8hr of sleep every night.
- The benefit of short naps of 10-20 minutes whatever you feel sleepy are
Wine & the heart:
- It was found in 1980, that the French had a lower incidence of heart disease as compared to the rest of Europe.
- The credit was given to the resveratrol, flavonoids & antioxidant contained in red wine.
- Subsequent research was unable to substantiate the benefit of wine over beer & other alcohols. However, the habit of the French having their wine along with their meal was found to be beneficial. From here springs the golden rule which is, to have alcohol (in any form) along with the meal for maximum benefit.
Managing your Blood Pressure:
- DASH Diet of fruit, vegetables and whole grain products.
- 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercises daily.
- Medication such as diuretics, beta blockers, ACE Inhibitor are good
- Other medications include vasodilators.
- Medication to be prescribed by a physician.
- Complementary therapies including yoga, tai chi are beneficial.